QUALITY: The Children’s Center has a distinguished reputation as a premiere preschool
LOCATION: The Children’s Center uses the whole town center as our classroom
- The Children’s Center, founded in 1971, has over 40 years of experience in early childhood education and was the 1st preschool in Connecticut to receive National Accreditation by NAEYC, the professional organization that sets the gold standard for preschools.
- Our Founder has a Ph.D. in Education and all of our teaching staff have college degrees (Associate, BA, BS and Masters) in the fields of Early Childhood Education (7), Elementary Education (3), or Spanish Language and Literature (1).
- The average tenure of our teaching staff is 13.75 years.
- Child-to-adult ratios are significantly below the state licensing requirements.
- The Children’s Center received scores of 100% on all ten of the NAEYC standards in our 2012 Accreditation renewal review.
- Our full time chef prepares home cooked breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack, ensuring that our children receive excellent nutrition.
COST: We have a sliding fee scale that makes our school affordable for all
- Our school is on almost 2 acres of land and is within walking distance of the town green. Our location allows us to have extensive community involvement and to engage in many community service projects.
- We incorporate walking trips to the library, the Senior Center, the Post Office, Canterbury School, the Historic Society, and local businesses into our curriculum.
SPECIAL ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS: No extra charges for our many extra programs
- The Children’s Center is a State funded non-profit organization with our primary focus on the children, not profit. Our sliding fee scale, based on need and eligibility, makes our top quality school available to all in our community.
- There are no extra charges for the home cooked meals, field trips, or enrichment programs that are provided throughout the year.
- Weekly Music, Literacy, and Creative Movement classes taught by specialists
- Fall apple picking trip to Averill Farms
- Fall pumpkin picking trip to March Farms
- Summer Trips to Lynn Deming Park for swimming
- Summer classes on respecting nature by Pratt Nature Center
- Home cooked breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack
- Art Adventures offered in partnership with The Village Center for the Arts
- Vision and Dental screenings
- Volunteers provide foreign language and sign language lessons
Pratt Nature Center Class
Averill Farm Apples
Pumpkins & Hay Rides